On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Brett Cannon <bcan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In my work environment (Python 2.7.2, all the heavy lifting done in
>> C++), startup costs are dominated by dynamic linking of all our C++
>> libraries and their Boost wrappers:
>

> Sure, but not everyone uses Boost or has long running processes where
> startup time is minuscule compared to the total execution time.

Specific use-case that I can see: Mercurial. In a git vs hg shoot-out,
git will usually win on performance, and hg is using Py2; migrating hg
to Py3 will (if I understand the above figures correctly) widen that
gap, so any improvement done to startup performance will give a very
real advantage.

ChrisA