It's definitely something that should be put in some documentation,
probably at the point when people have learned enough to be designing their
own programs where this issue comes up -- before they're wizards but well
after they have learned the semantic differences between lists and tuples.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Brett Cannon <bcan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu Apr 17 2014 at 2:43:35 PM, Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva <
> leandro...@cpti.cetuc.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>
>> Hello there!
>>
>> I've stumbled upon this discussion on python-dev about what the choice
>> between using a list or a tuple is all about in 2003:
>> 1. https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-March/033962.html
>> 2. https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-March/034029.html
>>
>> There's a vague comment about it on python documentation but afaik there
>> the discussion hasn't made into any PEPs. Is there an understanding about
>> it?
>>

> Think of tuples like a struct in C, lists like an array. That's just out
> of Guido's head so I don't think we have ever bothered to write it down
> somewhere as an important distinction of the initial design that should be
> emphasized.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)