On Apr 18, 2014, at 3:18 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At this point, however, I'm mainly looking for consensus that there
> *are* two different problems to be solved here, and solving them both
> well in a single tool is likely to be nigh on impossible. (I'm aware
> we're really on the wrong list for that discussion, but I also think
> there's value in getting some broader python-dev awareness of this
> particular topic)

I’m not sure about this? I mean yes those are two different areas, but I’m
not sure about the split between Conda and pip here. As far as I can tell
Conda is useful in the same way apt-get or yum is useful, you get a non
Python specific set of packages (because sometimes things aren’t pure
python) and you also remove a little bit of thinking about versions (although
honestly I think it’s possible to remove most of that for consumers of
packages).

To be quite frank, a lot of the benefit of Conda outside of the “I need
something
that isn’t strictly Python) is in the fact they can bootstrap compiled packages
whereas pip/wheel/PyPI combination we need to convince authors to upload
their own binary packages (or at least develop something to make it easier
like a build farm).