On 6/4/2014 6:52 PM, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

"Well" is subjective (or should be defined formally based on the
requirements). With my MicroPython hat on, an implementation which
receives a string, transcodes it, leading to bigger size, just to
immediately transcode back and send out - is awful, environment
unfriendly implementation ;-).

I am not sure what you concretely mean by 'receive a string', but I think you are again batting at a strawman. If you mean 'read from a file', and all you want to do is read bytes from and write bytes to external 'files', then there is obviously no need to transcode and neither Python 2 or 3 make you do so.

--
Terry Jan Reedy