I have a little pet project for building rpm of python 2.7 (it should be trivial to port to 3.x):

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:cavallo71:opt-python-modules

If there's enough interest I can help to integrate with python.org.

>> I understand there may be technical challenges with doing this for some
>> distributions and with producing a universal binary distribution.

Opensuse provides the vm to build binaries for multiple platforms already since a very long time.

> Of course Anaconda is oriented towards scientific applications but it is
> a proof that a pre-build binary installer works and can be simple to use.

Rpm are the "blessed" way to instal software on linux: it supports what most sysadmin expect (easy to list the installed packages, easy to validate if tampering to a package occurred, which file belongs to a package? etc..).

Anaconda might appeal some group of user, but for deployment company-wide rpm is the best technical solution given its integration in linux.

I hope this helps,
Antonio