> The official policy is that we want them [support for bytes paths in stdlib
> functions] to go away, but reality so far has not budged. We will continue to
> hold our breath though. :-)

Does that mean that new APIs should explicitly not support bytes? I'm
thinking of os.scandir() (PEP 471), which I'm implementing at the
moment. I was originally going to make it support bytes so it was
compatible with listdir, but maybe that's a bad idea. Bytes paths are
essentially broken on Windows.

-Ben