On 08/29/2014 01:00 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
On 29.08.2014 21:47, Alex Gaynor wrote:

I've just submitted PEP 476, on enabling certificate validation by default for
HTTPS clients in Python. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the PEP. I think this is generally a good idea,
but some important parts are missing from the PEP:

  * transition plan:

    I think starting with warnings in Python 3.5 and going
    for exceptions in 3.6 would make a good transition

    Going straight for exceptions in 3.5 is not in line with
    our normal procedures for backwards incompatible changes.

  * configuration:

    It would be good to be able to switch this on or off
    without having to change the code, e.g. via a command
    line switch and environment variable; perhaps even
    controlling whether or not to raise an exception or
    warning.

  * choice of trusted certificate:

    Instead of hard wiring using the system CA roots into
    Python it would be good to just make this default and
    permit the user to point Python to a different set of
    CA roots.

    This would enable using self signed certs more easily.
    Since these are often used for tests, demos and education,
    I think it's important to allow having more control of
    the trusted certs.

+1 for PEP with above changes.

--
~Ethan~