On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, we still think we should start providing pip by default to Python
> 2.7 users as well, at least as part of the Windows and Mac OS X installers.

serious +1 here.

Just last night I was writing up notes for an intro to python class on
getting started. (py2, :-( )

The "go download get-pip.py and run it with python" step(s) is a serious
hiccup. Better than it's been for years, but sure would be nice to just
"install python" then "use pip to install packages"

As for the feature freeze of py2.7 -- this is really an addition to teh
installers, not to python itself (or it can be seen that way, anyway)

Thanks Ned for offering to back port for OS-X !

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov