On 25 September 2014 17:05, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> So yes, pip can certainly do this, and if it's already running elevated then
> it shouldn't reprompt, but it's not entirely trivial to get this right ("are
> you denied write access to that directory because you're not admin or because
> it's on read-only media?") and it's considerably easier to try it, fail on
> access issues, but provide a flag for the user to force elevation. "pip
> --sudo install ..." would be fine by me :)

I thought one issue with running an elevated command line subprocess
from a non-elevated one, was that the elevated one didn't have access
to the non-elevated console, so it popped up its own independent
console window, which disappeared immediately the process completed
(hence losing any error messages). I definitely recall easy_install
did that at one stage, and it was a real pain. Or is that something
the parent process can affect, and the cmd/easy_install pair just
didn't do so?

Paul