----- Original Message -----
> On 20 September 2014 00:23, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 19, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > If the user wants to invoke Python 3, it's not hard to type 'python3' and I
> > think that's the message we should be spreading.  That already seems pretty
> > ingrained in user habits afaict.
> >

> > My biggest problem with ``python3``, is what happens after 3.9. I know
> > Guido
> > doesn’t particularly like two digit version numbers and it’s been suggested
> > on
> > this list that instead of 3.10 we’re likely to move directly into 4.0
> > regardless of
> > if it’s a “big” change or not.
>
> FWIW, I think we actually do this better on Windows these days, where
> PEP 397 made "py" a switchable entry point. I'd like to bring the same
> scheme to POSIX systems at some point, but that's a *long* way down
> the todo list (like, so far down I can't even see it any more). I'd be
> willing to review proposals, though :)

We did a similar thing with Ruby in Fedora, it's called Rubypick [1]. Is that a
direction worth pursuing?
Also, what is actually result of this thread? AFAICS the PEP still hasn't
changed. IMO when there's only python3 installed, there should be no
/usr/bin/python, which also seems to be aligned with what Guido says. Would it
be possible to update the PEP accordingly?

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Slavek Kabrda