On 11/16/2014 11:49 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:23:41 +0100, Stefano Borini
<stefano.bor...@ferrara.linux.it> wrote:
I report a finding (bug?) about the warning unicode symbol, as reported here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26919799/cannot-make-warning-sign-visible-on-osx-terminal

Stefano, the right place to send an enquiry about a bug is python-list, not py-dev.

Bugs should be reported to bugs.python.org.

But only if one is fairly sure there is a bug. The tracker is not for 'is this a bug' questions.

I'm doubtful this is a Python problem though.  More likely it is an
issue with the curses library on OSX.

Warning signs display fine in Idle's tkinter Text widget with Lucida Console font, and python utf-8 encodes and decodes the char.

>>> s='\u26a0'
>>> s
'⚠'  # up-pointing triangle /_\ with ! inside
>>> b=s.encode('utf-8')
>>> b
b'\xe2\x9a\xa0'
>>> b.decode('utf-8')
'⚠'

Presuming that the bytes are correct, there is no bug here.

--
Terry Jan Reedy