On Nov 30, 2014 11:09 AM, "Donald Stufft" <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

> > On Nov 30, 2014, at 11:55 AM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 30, 2014, at 09:54 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> >
> >> - Migrating "data" from GitHub is easy. There are free-as-in-freedom
> >> tools to do it and the only cost is the time it would take to monitor
> >> the process
> >
> > *Extracting* data may be easy, but migrating it is a different story.
As the
> > Mailman project has seen in trying to migrate from Confluence to Moin,
there
> > is a ton of very difficult work involved after extracting the data.
Parsing
> > the data, ensuring that you have all the bits you need, fitting it into
the
> > new system's schema, working out the edge cases, adapting to semantic
> > differences and gaps, ensuring that all the old links are redirected,
and so
> > on, were all exceedingly difficult[*].
> >
> > Even converting between two FLOSS tools is an amazing amount of work.
Look at
> > what Eric Raymond did with reposurgeon to convert from Bazaar to git.
>
> I fail to see how this is a reasonable argument to make at all since, as
you
> mentioned, converting between two FLOSS tools can be an amazing amount of
work.
> Realistically the amount of work is going to be predicated on whether or
not
> there is a tool that already handles the conversion for you. Assuming of
course
> that the data is available to you at all.
>
> As a particularly relevant example, switching from Mercurial to Git is as
easy
> as installing hg-git, creating a bookmark for master that tracks default,
and
> then pushing to a git repository.
>

> > It's a good thing that your data isn't locked behind a proprietary
door, for
> > now.  That's only part of the story.  But also, because github is a
closed
> > system, there's no guarantee that today's data-freeing APIs will still
exist,
> > continue to be functional for practical purposes, remain complete, or
stay at
> > parity with new features.
>
> This feels like Chicken Little-ing. If Github closed it’s APIs then you
could
> still get at that data by scraping the web interface. However why would
Github

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/donald%40stufft.io

> ---
> Donald Stufft
> PGP: 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA

I tend to agree with Donald that it's highly unlikely for GitHub to close
off their APIs but Barry is right that it isn't impossible. That can be
mitigated by regularly scheduling a back-up of that data using the tools we
have now so that the sky doesn't appear to be falling if the worst case
does occur.

I also tend to disagree with Barry that it will be extraordinarily
difficult because I have migrated issues and pull requests off of GitHub
and was able to automate the entirety of it reliably with python.
Admittedly, I'm very familiar with GitHub's API as the author of github3.py
so for me this is a trivial task. I would also be willing to help set up
migrations and back ups if we decide to use GitHub.