> On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:11 PM, Pierre-Yves David
> <pierre-yves.da...@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
>

> On 11/30/2014 08:45 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> I don’t make branches in Mercurial because
>> i’m afraid I’m going to push a permanent branch to hg.python.org
>> <http://hg.python.org> and screw
>> something up.
>
> There is no need to be afraid there, Mercurial is not going to let you push
> new head/branch unless you explicitly use `hg push --force`.
>
> I you are really paranoid about this, you can configure your Mercurial to
> make all new commit as secret (no pushable) and explicitly make commit ready
> to push as such. This can be achieved by adding
>
> [phases]
> new-commit=secret
>
> See `hg help phases` for details.

Yea Benjamin mentioned that the hg.python.org repositories have commit hooks to
prevent that from happening too. To be clear the fact I don’t really know
Mercurial very well isn’t what I think is a compelling argument for not using
Mercurial. It’s mostly a tangent to this PEP which is primarily focused on the
“network effects” of using a more popular tool. The technical benefits mostly
come from Github generally being a higher quality product than it’s
competitors, both FOSS and not.

---
Donald Stufft