Can we at least make it use the constructor (if there's a custom one)?
Seems like a reasonable compromise to me (let whoever implements a custom
__new__ deal with argument variance).

Eg, make it use a __new__ like this:

>>> class FancyInt(int):
...     def __new__(self, value):
...         return int.__new__(FancyInt, value)
...     def __repr__(self):
...         return "FancyInt(%s)" % super().__repr__()
>>> x = FancyInt(1)

FancyInt(1)
>>> x += 1
>>> x   # it should be FancyInt(2)
2

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, blog.ionelmc.ro