On Mar 18, 2015, at 02:44 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>Interesting, I've cautiously in favor of -s in Fedora but the more I've
>thought about it the less I've liked -E.  It just seems like PYTHONPATH is
>analagous to LD_LIBRARY_PATH for C programs and PATH for shell scripting.
>We leave both of those for local admins and users to affect the behaviour of
>programs if they needed to.

It is, and it isn't.  It's different because you can always explicitly
override the shebang line if needed.  So if a local admin really needed to
override $PYTHONPATH (though I can't come up with a use case right now), they
could just:

$ python3 -s /usr/bin/foo

>Was there some discussion of -E specifically in Debian where it was
>consciously decided that PYTHONPATH was not analagous or that the benefit
>risk was different than for those other env vars?

I'd have to go digging around the archives.  It wasn't a recent discussion
IIRC.

Cheers,
-Barry