On 26 May 2015 23:25, "Paul Moore" <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 May 2015 at 13:55, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > The builds I am responsible for include it because someone reported an
issue
> > and was persistent and helpful enough that I fixed it for them.
> >
> > That said, until MinGW agrees on a stable branch/version/fork, there
seems
> > to be a good chance that the shipped lib won't work for some people. If
this
> > is what's happened here, I see it as a good enough reason to stop
shipping
> > the lib and to add instructions on generating it instead (the
gendef/dlltool
> > dance).
>
> Agreed. If shipping it helps, then great. If it's going to cause bug
> reports, let's go back to the status quo of not having it. The
> instructions for generating it were in the old distutils docs, now
> removed in the cleanup / redirection to packaging.python.org. I'm
> inclined to just leave it undocumented - the people who need it know
> how to do it or can find it, whereas documenting the process implies a
> level of support that we're not yet really able to provide.

The old distutils docs aren't gone, the top level links just moved to the
distutils package docs: https://docs.python.org/3/library/distutils.html

I kept them (with the same deep link URLs) because I know there's stuff in
there that isn't currently documented anywhere else. I moved them to a more
obscure location because there's also stuff in there that's thoroughly
outdated, and it's a non-trivial task to figure out which is which and move
the still useful stuff to a more appropriate home :)

Cheers,
Nick.