I agree that size is an issue, but is it really that bad? Just compare it to
the recent "web surge" where everyone is writing desktop apps in HTML5+CSS+JS
and bundling a huge WebKit engine in their apps binary.

Python on Windows is seriously in a bad state. IMO, what needs to be
prioritized is the ability to make exes that *actually work* with nicer GUI
abilities. py2exe gives too many random DLL errors and PyInstaller is an ugly
hack that just shoves 20 DLLs with your executable. Mixed with the fact that
TkInter looks even uglier when built via py2exe and almost everything else
(PyGI, PySide, etc.) requires yet another 20 DLLs (PySide threw in Qt DLLs that
I didn't even use!), it's sad. Really sad.

This is most of the reason I write programs that I plan on distributing to
various crowds in some statically compiled language (C++, Nim, Felix, not Go)
with (when necessary) a statically-linked GUI library. Less DLL hell, less free
files, etc.

Oh yeah, and add to that the problems with running both Python 2 and 3 on
Windows while using some binaries that want 3 and others that want 2. It's
painful.