Nikolaus Rath writes:

 > Hmm, that's odd. As far as I know, the difference between the hg and git
 > DAG model can be summarized like this:
 >
 >  * In git, leaves of the DAG must be assigned a name. If they don't have
 >    a name, they will be garbage collected.

You can turn off automatic garbage collection.  I usually do: it's
very unusual that I create millions of objects, or even megabytes
worth of objects, that I'm creating.

 >    If they have a name, they are called a branch.

Tags are also refs, the difference being that committing child of the
tip of the current branch advances the branch pointer, while that
won't happen with a tag.

 >  * In hg, leaves of the DAG persist. If you want to remove them, you
 >    have to do so explicitly (hg strip), if you want them to have a name,
 >    you must do so explicitly (hg bookmark). A node of the DAG with a
 >    name is called a bookmark.
 >
 >  * hg named branches have no equivalent in git.

And that's a very good thing.