On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> For anyone interested although this http://bugs.python.org/issue3871 mingw
> issue is closed, it points to four other issues.  In total there are around
> 25 mingw issues open.  Maybe some of the work done on them can be tied up
> with the work that Carl Kleffner has done?

There are two different topics here: building extensions with
mingw-w64, and building CPython itself with mingw-w64. That issue is
about the latter, and I think everyone is agreed at this point that
Python.org isn't going to support that so long as there are
incompatible CRT/ABIs between mingw-w64 and MSVC, because that creates
all kinds of problems (e.g. now you have to distinguish between wheels
targeting win32-using-msvc versus win32-using-mingw-w64). So the first
thing to solve is to get the mingw-w64 CRT/ABI incompatibilities
sorted out and extensions working, and then once that's solid we could
think about whether CPython upstream is interested in carrying
mingw-w64 build patches for CPython itself.

(It might not even be that interesting at that point... the main
reason for wanting mingw-w64-built CPython is so that it can
interoperate with the mingw-w64 ecosystem -- e.g. supporting Python
plugins in mingw-w64's gdb. If MSVC and mingw-w64 python become
compatible with each other, then this becomes much less urgent...)

The msys2 folks who are maintaining the CPython-on-mingw-w64 patch set
are definitely aware of Carl's work.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org