In a message of Sun, 01 Nov 2015 05:52:40 -0800, Steve Dower writes:
>The installer and the contained contents are currently tied together, making
>it fairly difficult to mix and match versions.
>
>When 3.5.1 happens is up to Larry, but I'm feeling like the initial rush of
>bug reports has died down and we should be considering the remaining open ones
>in the context of blocking that release. (The XP notification, as well as the
>more confusing Vista and Win7 w/o service packs notifications, have been added
>already. Python-list will probably keep asking though, just in case it can get
>something for free...)
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Webmaster here.
The initial rush of bug reports I see has not gone down.  It's been in
steady increase.  This is not a data-blip due to last weekend's whole
outage of mail.python.org.

Getting the 'XP -- you are out of luck' message

and the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll is Microsofts Universal
CRT.  You don't have one.  You need to install it. Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48234

message out of a failed install -- as soon as possible -- would
have a serious positive impact around here.

Most of the replies I make are of that sort.  I have 2 templates to
make it quick to do, but still, be nice if I could save my time for
others.  And I don't report the number of people I talk to with this
problem to the bug tracker.  This could possibly have mislead you.

It is not like the:
The 3.5 Windows installer fails with "The TARGETDIR variable must be provided
when invoking this installer" bug
https://bugs.python.org/issue25144

where I report when I hear about them if I think there is a good chance
that having me report it will cause the person who submitted the bug
to me to go track it -- because maybe asking him or her to give you