On 19.11.2015 09:14, Cory Benfield wrote:

>> On 19 Nov 2015, at 03:53, Ben Bangert <b...@groovie.org> wrote:
>>
>> In Python 2 and 3, the ssl module's SSLContext object has a way to set
>> SSL options, but not to set SSL modes.
>>
>> The set_mode command and some of the available modes:
>> https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/ssl/SSL_CTX_set_mode.html
>>
>> The most critical mode is SSL_MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS, which can drop the
>> SSL overhead *per connection* from around 25kb to ~7kb. The pyopenssl
>> library allows the setting of SSLContext modes, it seems very odd that
>> the Python 2/3 ssl modules do not. Though I could understand that
>> perhaps not all SSL libraries Python might build against would have
>> this mode thing available.
>>

> Ben,
>
> Do we need the ability to set arbitrary modes? Most of the modes mentioned in
> the OpenSSL documentation are things we actively don’t want the user to set
> because stuff will randomly break. With that in mind, and with the fact that
> SSL_MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS is so obviously better than the standard, should we
> just instead have the ssl module automatically set SSL_MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS
> unconditionally?
>
> If so, I’m happy to submit a bug/patch to get that to happen.

The mode should only be enabled for OpenSSL versions which are
not affected by this vulnerability:

https://www.rapid7.com/db/vulnerabilities/http-openssl-cve-2014-0198

Other than that it seems like a good way forward. Plenty other
projects have had this enabled per default for years:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-October/131381.html
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/71706
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/157

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 19 2015)
2015-10-23: Released mxODBC Connect 2.1.5 ...     http://egenix.com/go85

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/