On Dec 2, 2015, at 07:01, Random832 <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-12-02, Victor Stinner <victor.stin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Are there plans for a Python 4?
>>
>> No. Don't. Don't schedule any "removal" or *any* kind of "break
>> backward compatibility" anymore, or you will definetly kill the Python
>> community.
>
> I feel like I should note that I agree with your position here, I was
> just asking the question to articulate the issue that "put it off to the
> indefinite future" isn't a real plan for anything.

Python could just go from 3.9 to 4.0, as a regular dot release, just to dispel
the idea of an inevitable backward-incompatible "Python 4". (That should be
around 2 years after the expiration of 2.7 support, py2/py3 naming, etc.,
right?)

Or, of course, Python could avoid the number 4, go to 3.17 and then decide that
the next release is big enough to be worthy of 5.0.

Or go from 3.9 to 2022, or XP, or Python Enterprise Python 1.  :)