On 21.12.15 17:37, Nick Coghlan wrote:
Avoiding those misleading associations is a good argument in favour of
Py_REPLACE over Py_SETREF - they didn't occur to me before casting my
votes, and I can definitely see them causing confusion in the future.

So perhaps the combination that makes the most sense is to add
Py_REPLACE (uses Py_DECREF on destination) & Py_XREPLACE (uses
Py_XDECREF on destination) to the existing Py_CLEAR?

And we return to where we started. Although I personally prefer Py_REPLACE/Py_XREPLACE, I'm afraid that using them would look like I just ignore the results of the poll. Because Py_SETREF looks good for most developers at first glance, I hope this will not lead to confusion in the future. If there are no new objections, I will commit the trivial auto-generated patch today and will provide a patch that covers more non-trivial cases. Now is better than never, and we have been bikeshedding this too long for "right now".