Hi Nick,

On 29/12/15 02:46, Nick Coghlan wrote:
1. The interpreter's bytecode generation is inconsistent with the
implementation of the eval loop

Essentially, this was my problem. I'd neglected to add the reference to TARGET_NEW_OP2 to Python/opcode_targets.h (so staring hard at the op generation and ceval implementation did not help me: they were both fine).

I'd forgotten adding the first op to that array, and section 24.8 of https://docs.python.org/devguide/compiler.html doesn't mention that file either. I will look at raising a docs bug on that.

It's also the case that to rule out the bootstrapping cycle as a
potential source of problems, you can try the following manual dance:

1. Revert to a clean checkout and rebuild
2. Apply the eval loop changes, and rebuild
3. Apply the code generation changes, and rebuild

Thanks - this is useful to know. It's a bit chicken-and-egg if one has introduced a bug which stops the build-time execution of the python auto-generation scripts from executing correctly :)

E.