On 1/12/2016 5:24 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
On 01/12/2016 01:34 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
[1] We're not going to call it __version__ are we?  Seems like
__cache_token__ is a much better name.

While I understand the rationale against __version__, it strikes me as a better description of what it is, and easier on the brain than __cache_token__. Maybe there is something even better, such as __seqnum__. This is literally what the attribute is, a sequence/revision number, as with the Python repository, without the connotations of 'version', as in 'Python version'. Each commit to CPython changes the repository state without changing the 'version'. A dict.update may run thru 1000s of sequence numbers, but only the final result is a 'version' from the programmers point of view.

--
Terry Jan Reedy