On 2016-01-19 00:18:08, "Terry Reedy" <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

On 1/18/2016 6:20 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 at 11:10 Brett Cannon <br...@python.org
<mailto:br...@python.org>> wrote:

While doing a review of http://bugs.python.org/review/26129/ I asked
    to have curly braces put around all `if` statement bodies. Serhiy
    pointed out that PEP 7 says curly braces are optional:
    https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0007/#id5. I would like to
    change that.

    My argument is to require them to prevent bugs like the one Apple
    made with OpenSSL about two years ago:
    https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html. Skipping
the curly braces is purely an aesthetic thing while leaving them out
    can lead to actual bugs.

    Anyone object if I update PEP 7 to remove the optionality of curly
    braces in PEP 7?

Currently this thread stands at:

+1
   Brett
   Ethan
   Robert
   Georg
   Nick
   Maciej Szulik
+0
   Guido
-0
   Serhiy
   MAL
-1
   Victor (maybe; didn't specifically vote)
   Larry
   Stefan

Though I don't write C anymore, I occasionally read our C sources. I dislike mixed bracketing in a multiple clause if/else statement, and would strongly recommend against that. On the other hand, to my Python-trained eye, brackets for one line clauses are just noise. +-0.

If coverity's scan does not flag the sort of misleading bug bait formatting that at least partly prompted this thread

if (a):
   b;
   c;

then I think we should find or write something that does and run it over existing code as well as patches.

I agree.

After all, how hard could it be? :-)