This does sound like it's the crucial issue, and it is worth writing
up clearly the pros and cons. Let's draft those lists in a thread
(this one's fine) and then add them to the PEP. We can then decide to:

- keep the status quo
- change PurePath to inherit from str
- decide it's never going to be settled and kill pathlib.py

(And yes, I'm dead serious about the latter, rather Solomonic option.)

My sense of the discussion was that some people think that the new-in-upcoming 3.5.2 PurePath.path should serve as a substitute for inheriting from str. In particular, it should make it easy for stringpath functions to also accept path objects.

--
Terry Jan Reedy