On 04/05/2016 10:40 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Ethan Furman writes:

  > No, Stephen, that is not what this is about.

Wrong Steven.  Spelling matters in email too.

Yes, it absolutely does.  My apologies.

-1 Not good enough.  I wouldn't do it that often that "ugly" overrides
the reasoning Brett presented [...]

But we don't object to (de)serializing dicts to (from) str (as JSON or
pickle).

Amusingly enough, I don't have to deal with serializing dicts. :) However, as a comparison: imagine you had to transform your dict to JSON every time some function wanted a dict as input. And had to transform returned JSON strings in to dicts.

I think Path vs. string is similarly different to justify
saying so (especially when treating user input).  [...]
Thus, strings that look like paths (as strings) actually will have
multiple internal representations, similarly to the way that a dict
can have multiple serializations.

I don't follow. When dealing with the file system one passes a string* representing the path of the object one wants -- pretty much the same string that was passed in to Path.

--
~Ethan~

* or bytes, but the same sameness, really.