On 11.05.16 23:51, Ethan Furman wrote:
On 05/11/2016 01:44 PM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
I afraid that this will hit a performance. Some os.path functions are
used in tight loops, they are hard optimized, and adding support of path
protocol can have visible negative effect.

Do you have an example of os.path functions being used in a tight loop?

posixpath.realpath(), os.walk(), glob.glob() calls split() and join() for every path component. dirname() and basename() are also often called. I doesn't count functions like islink() and isfile() since they just pass the argument to underlying stat function and don't need conversion.