> On 9 Jun 2016, at 14:48, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
> I agree those are the two options. I want the application developer to make
> the choice, not us.

Right, but right now those two options aren’t available: only one of them is.
And one way or another we’re taking an action here: either we’re leaving
os.urandom() as it stands now, or reverting it back to the way it was in 3.4.0.

This means that you *do* want python-dev to make a choice: specifically, you
want python-dev to make the choice that was made in 3.4.0, rather than the one
that was made in 3.5.0. That’s fine, but we shouldn’t be pretending that either
side is arguing for inaction or the status quo for Python 3.5 a choice was made
with insufficient knowledge of the outcomes, and now we’re arguing about
whether we can revert that choice. The difference is, now we *do* know about
both outcomes, which means we are consciously choosing between them.

> All of which fails to be backwards compatible (new exceptions and hanging
> behavior), which means you’re breaking apps.

Backwards compatible with what? Python 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 both have this
behaviour, so I assume you mean “backward compatible with 3.4”. However, part
of the point of a major release is that it doesn’t have to be backward
compatible in this manner: Python breaks backward compatibility all the time in
major releases.

I should point out that as far as I'm aware there are exactly two applications
that suffer from this problem. One of them is Debian’s autopkgtest, which has
resolved this problem by invoking Python with PYTHONHASHSEED=0. The other is
systemd-cron, and frankly it does not seem at all unreasonable to suggest that
perhaps systemd-cron should *maybe* hold off until the system’s CSPRNG gets
seeded before it starts executing.

Cory