On 07/05/2016 10:44 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Jul 04, 2016, at 10:31 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

While we liked the "consistent calendar cadence that is some multiple
of 6 months" idea, several of us thought 12 months was way too short
as it makes for too many entries in third party support matrices.

18 months for a major release cadence still seems right to me.  Downstreams
and third-parties often have to go through *a lot* of work to ensure
compatibility, and try as we might, every Python release breaks *something*.
Major version releases trigger a huge cascade of other work for lots of other
people, and I don't think shortening that would be for the overall community
good.  It just feels like we'd always be playing catch up.

+1 from me as well. Rapid major releases are just a huge headache. The nice thing about a .6 or .7 minor release is that we get closer to no bugs with each one.

--
~Ethan~