Yes, I see what you're saying.   However, I don't understand why
__init_subclass__ (defined on some class C) cannot be used to implement the
checks required by @abstractmethod instead of doing it in ABCMeta.  This
would prevent metaclass conflicts since you could use @abstractmethod with
any metaclass or no metaclass at all provided you inherit from C.