On 30.08.16 15:31, Dima Tisnek wrote:
On 30 August 2016 at 14:13, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. Detect length change and raise.

It would be simpler solution. But I afraid that this can break third-party
code that "just works" now. For example slicing a list "just works" if step
is 1. It can return not what the author expected if a list grows, but it
never crashes, and existing code can depends on current behavior. This
solution is not applicable in maintained versions.

Serhiy,

If dictionary is iterated in thread1 while thread2 changes the
dictionary, thread1 currently raises RuntimeError.

Would cloning current dict behaviour to slice with overridden
__index__ make sense?

No, these are different things. The problem with dict iterating is unavoidable, but slicing can be defined consistently (as described by Terry in option 2). Changing a dict can change the order and invalidates iterators (except trivial cases of just created or finished iterators). But slicing can be atomic (and it is atomic de facto in many cases), we just should call all __index__-es before looking on a sequence.

I'd argue 3rd party code depends on slicing not to raise an exception,
is same as 3rd party code depending on dict iteration not to raise and
exception; If same container may be concurrently used in another
thread, then 3rd party code is actually buggy. It's OK to break such
code.

We shouldn't break third-party code in maintained releases. De facto slicing is atomic now in many cases, and it is nowhere documented that it is not atomic. The problem only with using broken by design PySlice_GetIndicesEx() in CPython. If CPython would implemented without PySlice_GetIndicesEx() (with more cumbersome code), it is likely this issue wouldn't be raised.