On 07Sep2016 1037, Guido van Rossum wrote:
I'm hijacking this thread to provisionally accept PEP 529. (I'll also
do this for PEP 528, in its own thread.)

I've talked things over with Steve and Victor and we're going to do an
experiment (as now written up in the PEP:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0529/#beta-experiment) to tease
out any issues with this change during the beta. If serious problems
crop up we may have to roll back the changes and reject the PEP -- we
won't get another chance at getting this right. (That would also mean
that using the binary filesystem APIs will remain deprecated and will
eventually be disallowed; as long as the PEP remains accepted they are
undeprecated.)

Congrats Steve! Thanks for the massive amount of work on the
implementation and the thinking that went into the design. Thanks
everyone else for their feedback.

--Guido

Thanks! I've updated the status. Now the process of bartering for code reviews begins :)

Patches are at:
  PEP 528: http://bugs.python.org/issue1602
  PEP 529: http://bugs.python.org/issue27781

Cheers,