On 2017-01-27 17:03, Łukasz Langa wrote:

On Jan 26, 2017, at 5:16 PM, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com <mailto:pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com>> wrote:

So, it seems as if regex already uses a better algorithm although I
couldn't find any reference to any regex theoretical framework like dfa,
nfa, thompson multiple-state simulation or something.

It still uses backtracking, like in the re module.

What’s the status of regex inclusion in the stdlib?

I'm not bothered about it. It's quite a bit bigger than the re module, and, anyway, keeping it as a third-party module gives me more freedom to make updates, which are available for a range of Python versions.