On 03/20, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> Modern CPython, and all extant versions of PyPy and Jython, guarantee that
> __del__ is called at most once. MicroPython doesn't support user-defined
> __del__ methods.
>
> It's fine if the text wants to leave that open, but the current phrasing is
> pretty misleading IMO. I also read it as saying that __del__ would be
> called again if the object is collected again (which may or may not
> happen).

Yes, that is why I was confused. Just I could not believe nobody else noticed
this "bug" so I decided to check the sources and yes, the code looks very clear.

> But AFAICT there are actually zero implementations where this is
> true.

Probably this was mostly true until the commit 796564c2 ("Issue #18112: PEP
442 implementation (safe object finalization)."), python2 calls __del__ again.

> Probably worth a small edit :-)

Agreed. And it seems that not only me was confused,
http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/cpython_differences.html says:

        There are a few extra implications from the difference in the GC. Most
        notably, if an object has a __del__, the __del__ is never called more
        than once in PyPy; but CPython will call the same __del__ several times
        if the object is resurrected and dies again.

Thanks to all!

Oleg.