I agree with MAL and have also been on the Trademarks Committee for 8-9
years. Protecting an actual Mark like the logo is fine, as painful as it is
to someone's say no to an attractive derived logo. But trying to protect a
look-and-feel is way too far down the path of evil (it's what some
proprietary companies we want to be different from do). Moreover, when when
that's done it's not generally as trademark but as "trade dress"
copyright... which is a concept I opposed ethically, but know it's the
usual legal instrument.