Barry suggested I bring this up here.

It seems the right time to at least discuss this:

RE:  PEP 553 enabling / disabling breakpoints ---

I've recently started using a simple conditional breakpoint in ipython, and
wonder if  - in addition to Nick Coghlan's request for the env
'PYTHONBREAKPOINT'  (boolean?), it would make sense (I _think_ so) to add a
condition parameter to the breakpoint() call.  This does raise several
questions, but it seems that it could make for a simple unified way to
conditionally call an arbitrary debugger.  What I found useful (in the
contecxt of ipython - but general enough) you can see in this gist:
https://gist.github.com/yarko/bdaa9d3178a6db03e160fdbabb3a9885

If PEP 553's breakpoint() were to follow this sort of interface (with
"condition"), it raises a couple of questions:
- how would a missing (default) parameter be done?
- how would parameters to be passed to the debugger "of record" be passed
in (named tuple? - sort of ugly)
- would PYTHONBREAKPOINT be a global switch (I think yes), vs a `condition`
default.

I have no dog in the fight, but to raise the possibility (?) of having PEP
553 implement simple conditional breakpoint processing.

Any / all comments much appreciated.

Regards,
Yarko