On 2017-10-29 00:48, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:31:01AM +0100, MRAB wrote:

Not that I'm planning on making any further additions, just bug fixes and updates to follow the Unicode updates. I think I've crammed enough into it already. There's only so much you can do with the regex syntax with its handful of metacharacters and possible escape sequences...

What do you think of the Perl 6 regex syntax?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl_6_rules#Changes_from_Perl_5

I think I prefer something that's more like PEG, with quoted literals, perhaps because it looks more like a programming language, but also because it's clearer than saying "these characters are literal, but those aren't". That webpage says "Literals: word characters (letters, numbers and underscore) matched literally", but is that all letters? And what about diacritics, and combining characters?

I'm not keen on <before ...> and <!before ...>, I like & and ! better, but then how would you write a lookbehind?

Named rules are good, better than regex's use of named capture groups, and if you quote literal, then you wouldn't need to wrap rule call in <...>, as Perl 6 does.