Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> writes:

> On 11/2/2017 4:54 AM, Lele Gaifax wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if the rebase should have been done on the original branch
>> instead of creating a new one, or instead if I should open a new PR (and
>> close the original one?).
>
> It is normal to 'git merge upstream/master' after updating the master branch
> and checking out the pr branch, and then push the updated branch. I
> sometimes have to do that when reviewing a pr.  Often, for me, the problem
> is not merge conflicts, but re version conflicts.  However, if there are
> merge conflicts that make it easier to reproduce the patch from the current
> master, closing and opening a new PR is ok too.

There was one major conflict, due to the NEWS->blurb transition, and to fix
that I rebased the patchset onto the (at the time) current master removing one
commit and recording a new one with a proper NEWS.d entry. It seemed correct
to me pushing the result into a different branch of my own GH fork, and to
stick a note about the fact in the PR, asking about the preferred workflow:
since a few people already reviewed the code, I didn't feel right in
overwriting that history (I still don't know how GH behave when one
force-pushes a different history in a branch already tracked by a PR).

In the end, I closed the original PR#377 and opened a new
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/4238.

I need some hint on how to solve a compilation issue on Windows, as I didn't
find a portable wrapper interface to the unlink(2) system call: when the
backup fails the code wants to remove the possibly corrupted/incomplete
external file, but apparently the <unistd.h> header is not present on that
system so I explicitly declared the unlink() function as done for example by
Modules/posixmodule.c, but does not seem the right solution.

Thanks in advance,
ciao, lele.
l...@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.