On 9 November 2017 at 02:17, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> I suppose there are lots of ways to do this, but at least I’m pretty sure we
> all agree that end users shouldn’t see DeprecationWarnings, while developers
> should.

Agreed. Most of the debate to me seems to be around who is an end user
and who is a developer (and whether someone can be both at the same
time).

In my opinion, I am a developer of any code I write, but an end user
of any code I get from others (whether that be a library or a
full-blown application). However, the problem is that Python can't
tell what code I wrote. Enabling warnings just for __main__ takes a
conservative view of what counts as "code I wrote", while not being as
conservative as the current approach (which is basically "assume I'm
an end user unless I explicitly say I'm not"). My preference is to be
conservative, so the proposed change is OK with me.

Paul