On Nov 28, 2017, at 15:31, Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Put me down for a strong -1.   The proposal would occasionally save a few
> keystokes but comes at the expense of giving Python a more Perlish look and a
> more arcane feel.

I am also -1.

> One of the things I like about Python is that I can walk non-programmers
> through the code and explain what it does.  The examples in PEP 505 look like
> a step in the wrong direction.  They don't "look like Python" and make me
> feel like I have to decrypt the code to figure-out what it does.

I had occasional to speak with someone very involved in Rust development.  They
have a process roughly similar to our PEPs.  One of the things he told me,
which I found very interesting and have been mulling over for PEPs is, they
require a section in their specification discussion how any new feature will be
taught, both to new Rust programmers and experienced ones.  I love the emphasis
on teachability.  Sometimes I really miss that when considering some of the
PEPs and the features they introduce (look how hard it is to teach asynchronous
programming).

Cheers,
-Barry