On 11/28/2017 8:31 PM, Eric V. Smith wrote:
Hm. Maybe for the ordering comparisons we could defer to the class with the longest list of fields, as long as there's a subtype relationship? That way b<c and c>b would be equivalent, and both would use C.__gt__. Which had better not reject this on the basis that other is not an instance of a subclass of C.

IIRC there's already something in the interpreter that tries the most derived class first for binary operators -- that may force our hand here.

I'm leaning toward doing the same thing attrs does. They have much more experience with this.

Except that given Hynek's response in https://github.com/ericvsmith/dataclasses/issues/51#issuecomment-347769322, I'm just going to leave it as-is, with a strict type requirement for all 6 methods.

Eric.