On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 08:24:05AM -0500, Random832 wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017, at 05:31, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > I'm more confused than ever. You seem to be arguing that Python
> > functions CAN short-circuit their arguments and avoid evaluating them.
> > Is that the case?
>
> > If this is merely about when the name "function" is looked up, then I
> > don't see why that's relevant to the PEP.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> You're completely missing the context of the discussion,

Yes I am. That's why I asked.

> which was the
> supposed reason that a *new* function call operator, with the proposed
> syntax function?(args), that would short-circuit (based on the
> 'function' being None) could not be implemented.

Given that neither your post (which I replied to) nor the post you were
replying to mentioned anything about function?() syntax, perhaps I might
be forgiven for having no idea what you were talking about?

The PEP only mentions function?() as a rejected idea, do I don't know
why we're even talking about it. The PEP is deferred, with considerable
opposition and luke-warm support, even the PEP author has said he's not
going to push for it, and we're arguing about a pedantic point related
to a part of the PEP which is rejected...

:-)

--
Steve