> The 'Mac' build system has its own subdirectory in the source tree and it
> makes sense as it is the reference build system for this platform. I do not
> see why this should be different for Android.

Hum, Mac/ is mostly the recipe to build the installer and a .dmg
image, no? macOS uses the same configure/Makefile than Linux, no?

Building Python on macOS is quite simple, there is nothing special
about macOS. And macOS is used on a *very* limited set of hardware,
only sold by a single vendor, Apple.

Android is quite the opposite. The propose Android directory is
complex recipe for cross-compiling for a wide range of hardware, and
likely different usages of Python. Some people may want a REPL, some
people may only be interested by a GUI (like Kivy or Panda3D?), some
people probably want to do something else.

All Python modules work on macOS, since macOS is just one flavor of
POSIX. While Android is compatible with POSIX, from the bug reports
that I saw, many modules don't work and will not work on Android. So
supporting Android is much more complex than supporting macOS.

> You are mistaken, this proposal does not suggest that we are going to
> support "all Android API versions, all configuration, any set of libraries,
> etc.", quite the opposite actually.

Since we are talking about the future, I would like to remain open to
support wider Android API versions and any configuration. As I wrote,
I don't require to support all configurations and all API versions,
but just provide best effort support, and only fully support one
specific API version and one specific config.

> The build system enforces the use of NDK r14 for example (as you
> have painfuly experienced).

It seems like Android is evolving quickly, I would say quicker than
Python releases. I'm asking if it's a good idea to put a recipe aside
the Python source code for one specific Android API version? Would it
still make sense to build for NDK v14 in 2 or 5 years?

> This is a bad start for this proposal and it would have been fair to inform
> me that you were working in irc collaboration with this other user in
> testing the build system.

Right, I'm working with Paul Peny (pmpp on IRC). He is helping me to
test your PR. Paul understand Android much better than me. For me,
it's still a huge black box. Basically, I don't understand what I'm
doing :-)

Victor