Hi,

PEP 370 [1] was my first PEP that got accepted. I created it exactly one
decade and two days ago for Python 2.6 and 3.0. Back then we didn't have
virtual environment support in Python. Ian Bicking had just started to
create the virtualenv project a couple of months earlier.

Fast forward 10 years...

Nowadays Python has venv in the standard library. The user-specific
site-packages directory is no longer that useful. I would even say it's
causing more trouble than it's worth. For example it's common for system
script to use "#!/usr/bin/python3" shebang without -s or -I option.

I propose to deprecate the feature and remove it in Python 4.0.

Regards,
Christian

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/