On 2/22/18 9:43 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 22 February 2018 at 20:55, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
On 2/22/2018 1:56 AM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
When working on the docs for dataclasses, something unexpected came up.
If a dataclass is specified to be frozen, that characteristic is inherited
by subclasses which prevents them from assigning additional attributes:

      >>> @dataclass(frozen=True)
      class D:
              x: int = 10

      >>> class S(D):
              pass

      >>> s = S()
      >>> s.cached = True
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "<pyshell#49>", line 1, in <module>
          s.cached = True
        File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/dataclasses.py",
line 448, in _frozen_setattr
          raise FrozenInstanceError(f'cannot assign to field {name!r}')
      dataclasses.FrozenInstanceError: cannot assign to field 'cached'

This is because "frozen-ness" is implemented by adding __setattr__ and
__delattr__ methods in D, which get inherited by S.

Other immutable classes in Python don't behave the same way:

      >>> class T(tuple):
              pass

      >>> t = T([10, 20, 30])
      >>> t.cached = True

      >>> class F(frozenset):
              pass

      >>> f = F([10, 20, 30])
      >>> f.cached = True

      >>> class B(bytes):
              pass

      >>> b = B()
      >>> b.cached = True

The only way I can think of emulating this is checking in __setattr__ to see
if the field name is a field of the frozen class, and only raising an error
in that case.
If you were going to do that then it would likely make more sense to
convert the frozen fields to data descriptors, so __setattr__ only
gets called for attempts to add new attributes.

Then for the `frozen=False` case, the decorator could force
__setattr__ and __delattr__ back to the default implementations from
object, rather than relying on the behaviour inherited from base
classes.

I guess it depends on what we're trying to do. By using data descriptors, we'd be saying "the fields can't be modified, but other parts of the class can". For example, what should happen here:

@dataclass(frozen=True)
class F:
   i: int

f = F(10)
f.i = 0   # should be an error
f.j = 0   # should this be an error? It's not a field.

I was hoping to get all of this finished today, by a2, but it looks like that's not going to happen.
A related issue is that dataclasses derived from frozen dataclasses are
automatically "promoted" to being frozen.

@dataclass(frozen=True)
... class A:
...     i: int
@dataclass
... class B(A):
...     j: int
b = B(1, 2)
b.j = 3
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "C:\home\eric\local\python\cpython\lib\dataclasses.py", line 452, in
_frozen_setattr
     raise FrozenInstanceError(f'cannot assign to field {name!r}')
dataclasses.FrozenInstanceError: cannot assign to field 'j'

Maybe it should be an error to declare B as non-frozen?
It would be nice to avoid that, as a mutable subclass of a frozen base
class could be a nice way to model hashable-but-mutable types:

     >>> @dataclass(frozen=True) # This is the immutable/hashable bit
     ... class A:
     ...     i: int
     >>> @dataclass # This adds the mutable-but-comparable parts
     ... class B(A):
     ...     j: int
     ...     __hash__ = A.__hash__

However, disallowing this case for now *would* be a reasonable way to
postpone making a decision until 3.8 - in the meantime, folks would
still be able to experiment by overriding __setattr__ and __delattr__
after the dataclass decorator sets them.

For today, I'm going to make it an error to derive a frozen dataclass from a non-frozen dataclass, and also an error to derive a non-frozen dataclass from a frozen dataclass. With any luck (and Guido and Ned willing), we can address this by a3.

Eric