Hi!

On 05/26/2016 07:38 PM, John Dennis wrote:
On 05/26/2016 08:24 AM, Tomas Orsava wrote:
Hi,

those are very good questions to which you should be able to find
answers on the Python RPM Porting Guide [0]. You are right that this
should be better covered in the packaging guidelines, sadly the process
of changing them is rather problematic so no one yet had the time to
update them.

[0] http://python-rpm-porting.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Thanks Tomas, I was aware of this document as well. However I believe both documents contain the same mistake.

Here is the problem:

Only the python3-XXX package installs the (Py3) script. Unless the python2-XXX package requires the script neither the script nor the Py3 modules/packages required by the (Py3) script will be installed when you install either the python-XXX or python2-XXX package (assuming the virtual provides of python-XXX points to python2-XXX as is currently the case).

I think the python2-XXX package in the examples is missing something like this:

Requires: %{_bindir}/sample-exec

Make sense?

I believe there is a misunderstanding. In your first message you said "But the guidelines require the py3 version of the script in the py2 package." That is incorrect.

The guidelines only require you to package the Python 3 version of the script. They are not very clear on where you should put it, but the only logical place is of course the Python 3 subpackage (or a new subpackage with only the executable script that relies on the Python 3 subpackage).

You should never put the Python 3 executable in the Python 2 subpackage.

Kind regards,
Tomas