On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 November 2017 at 01:51, Toshio Kuratomi <a.bad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 16, 2017 4:59 AM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Rather than emphasising the absence of setup.py, I'd emphasise the use of
>> wheel files:
>>

>> * "Defining an RPM based on a wheel build process"
>> * "Defining an RPM based on a setup.py file"
>>

>> I would not emphasize the use of wheel files as they are not source and
>> from flit's documentation, it doesn't appear that wheels are even central to
>> it (contrast how much wheel is mentioned in  its documentation compared to
>> pyproject.tom).  Instead I would emphasize flit itself as the build tool
>> which we're using to transform the source into the files on our systems.  If
>> there's ever an alternative to flit which builds with wheels as part of that
>> process we'll need new guidelines based on that so using wheel as the prime
>> keyword that people associate with this build process instead of flit is not
>> future proof either.
>

> It's not just flit - it's enscons and other PEP 517/518 backends, whereby
> the only thing we know for sure about the sdist in the long term is that
> "pip wheel" (and other PEP 517 frontends) will be able to convert it into a
> Python wheel in the %build phase, which can then be unpacked by the wheel
> installation macro in the %install phase.
>
> So the two possible approaches are:
>
> * traditional sdist: "setup.py build", "setup.py install"
> * Current wheel macros: "setup.py bdist_wheel", "pip install <wheel file>"
>
> If we tweak the %py_build_wheel macro to use `pip wheel` [1] rather than
> calling `setup.py bdist_wheel` directly, then even the wheel build macro
> would be usable without a setup.py shim (once pip itself fully supports PEP
> 517/518)

I'm not sure what you're saying.  I must be further outside of the
packaging loop than I thought.

The two questions that I need to know the answer to to make sure we're
even vaguley on the same page are:

* Is the rpm Source: line still going to be an sdist?
* Are the files that are in the built rpm going to be the same as now?

-Toshio