On 8.9.2018 10:57, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 09:49:40PM -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:
I'm thinking about removing some of my Python 2 subpackages (that
are no longer used).  However, I'm wondering about the case where
the removed packages should be added to fedora-obsolete-packages.  I
don't _think_ the removal of my packages would cause any problems
upon upgrade.

Can someone provide an example of a situation where a removed
package could cause a problem on upgrade (and should thus be added
to fedora-obsolete-packages).

Hi,

you should always add the old subpackage to fedora-obsolete-packages.

This is not the FPC's conclusion. You should only do it if it is problematic (as in your example 1 bellow).

https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/754#comment-512716

There are two possibilities for how the subpackage affects upgrade:
1. if your subpackage depends on other packages, then the presence
    of your subpackage can prevent the upgrade of those other packages.
    Users might need to use --allowerasing to work around that, and we
    don't want that, upgrades must be possible without --allowerasing.

2. if your subpackage does not depend on anything except python2, then
    there is no immediate problem with upgrade (since python2 is staying
    around for now), but the users of your package have an obsolete package
    installed that is not being upgraded or supported.

A shared subpackage example:

python2-foo requires python-foo-common = %{version}-%{release}
python3-foo requires python-foo-common = %{version}-%{release}

When python2-foo is removed from repos but remains on installed system and the python3 version is updated, the user will get an error upon regular dnf upgrade.

A third party libray example:

python2-pdf-hoovercraft requires libpoppler.so.78()(64bit)

When python2-foo is removed from repos but remains on installed system and the libpoppler soname version is updated, the user will get an error upon regular dnf upgrade.

--
Miro Hrončok